- 1 litre ham cooking liquid/stock
- 1/2 turnip/swede, peeled and chopped into dice sized pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into dice sized pieces
- 100g of dried soup mix
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 spring onions/scallions finely chopped
- 30g melted butter
- 70ml cold water
- 400g shredded, cooked ham
Take a large, heavy bottomed saucepan with a firm lid. Pour in the stock, soup mix and chopped vegetables and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, scallions and melted butter. Then slowly pour in the cold water in quarters. Stir the mixture with a fork and stop adding water when you have a stiff dough.
Once the vegetables in the pot are cooked and tender, stir in the shredded ham. Shape the dough into small ping-pong sized balls. Sit them on top of the soup. Put the lid back on the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a large spoon, gently turn the dough over and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Serve in large soup bowls and eat with a spoon.