Soft berries are now in season. Need I say more? Strawberries and raspberries in the shops herald the start of Birthday season in our house, with more than 5 Birthdays in the month of June it’s a busy month. For that reason it’s always good to have a fail safe cake recipe that doesn’t take long to make, works well with berries and doesn’t make you feel too guilty for eating yet another slice of cake.
This is a fatless sponge recipe that works so well for me because it is simple to scale the size up or down. The measurements below make 2 small sandwich tins of cake or 1 cookie tray of cake which can be rolled into a swiss roll. The most important thing you need to remember is the ratio which is 1:1:1 – I remember this because it’s the way my Grandmother taught me to make a sponge and for this reason my measurements are in the old, imperial measurements.
1 egg: 1 oz of flour: 1 oz of caster sugar + 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
So to make 1 fatless sponge sandwich you will need:
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 oz of plain flour
- 3 oz of caster sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- Fresh whipped cream (250ml)
- Fresh berries – strawberries, raspberries etc
- Stand mixer or hand whisk (you can do this by hand but it’s seriously hard & time consuming)
- 1 large metal spoon
- 2 small sandwich tins (7″)
- Greaseproof baking parchment
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Line your sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Take another large piece of baking parchment & place the sieve on top of it. Put the flour & baking powder inside the sieve & leave it for the time being.
- Put the eggs and sugar into the mixer and using the whisk attachment whisk until pale, light and fluffy. Its volume should at least double in size.
- Turn off the mixer and sieve the flour/baking powder directly onto the baking parchment.
- Now gently pour half the flour into the egg/sugar mixture and fold with the metal spoon. Taking care not to knock the air out.
- Repeat step 6 above with the remaining flour.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 lined sandwich tins.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 17 mins or until golden.
- Remove from the oven when baked and leave to cool on a cooling rack, then fill the sandwich with fresh cream and berries.
- Serve immediately and it is best eaten on the day it is baked.