I get asked questions quite a bit about the slow cooker so I figured I’d pop my tips/answers below, with a slow cooker lamb tagine recipe at the end. As an added bonus, this recipe actually has a video to match. If this is the kind of thing you like to see please do let me know and I’ll do my best to film some more.
Maybe I should have called this post “why I flipping love my slow cooker”!
- Use up the same energy as a lightbulb, making them extremely cost effective and safe to use (cheaper than an oven or a hob).
- Are easy to clean as the dish can be lifted out of the metal surround and scrubbed clean.
- Normally come in 2 sizes – either 3.5L or 6L.
- I find a 3.5L grand for a family of 5 but larger would be handy for batch-cooking.
- You can run a slow cooker on timer if you’re going to be out of the house for long periods of time.
- If your slow cooker doesn’t come with a timer then buy a timer plug in your local hardware store (they’re very inexpensive).
- Great for tougher and cheaper cuts of meat.
- Brilliant for soups and stews.
- You can also make your porridge overnight and even bake cakes in a slow cooker.
- Slow cookers retain their moisture so no need to add extra water when cooking and you can cook a whole chicken without any added liquid.
- I bought mine for €14.99 on a special in Lidl 3 years ago and it’s still going strong and in use at least twice a week.
Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5/6 dried apricots or figs, chopped
- 100g soup mix (contains split peas, lentils, barley, and dried peas)
- 300g lamb pieces (I use a cheap stewing cut as it doesn’t really matter)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tin of chickpeas, water included (do not drain)
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 100ml water
Mix all your ingredients in a slow cooker. Put the lid on and cook on high for 5 hours. Serve with couscous (cooking instructions are in the video) and sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs.